Thursday, October 12, 2006

Early Morning Quote of the Day

Kurt Vonnegut reworks that all old Smiths lyric to raise a wry smile:

"But then Vonnegut starts coughing, clearing his throat of phlegm, grasping for a half-smoked pack of Pall Malls lying on a coffee table. He quickly lights up. His wheezing ceases. I ask him whether he worries that cigarettes are killing him. "Oh, yes," he answers, in what is clearly a set-piece gag. "I've been smoking Pall Mall unfiltered cigarettes since I was twelve or fourteen. So I'm going to sue the Brown & Williamson Tobacco Company, who manufactured them. And do you know why?" "Lung cancer?" I offer.

"No. No. Because I'm eighty-three years old. The lying bastards! On the package Brown & Williamson promised to kill me. Instead, their cigarettes didn't work. Now I'm forced to suffer leaders with names like Bush and Dick and, up until recently, 'Colon.'" . . .

OK, you've got me - the quote is from a interview that he did for Rolling Stone that dates back to August of this year, but like I'm going to keep up to speed with what's going on in an old fart muso magazine like Rolling Stone. That's why I read Q magazine.

No comments: