Sunday, July 09, 2006

What He Said*

The worst World Cup ever in my honest opinion. No, not the quality of the football, the quality of my predictions. I thought Spain would do it this time, but they tripped over themselves against France after demolishing the Ukraine so convincingly in the group stages. And then I thought Trevorland would get a result against Portugal. Again, not so close, no Churchillian cigar. My heart ruled my head in wanting Germany win the semi final against Italy, but as the game went on today I genuinely thought that France would and should win - I wanted France to win. Not just 'cos I still love the French midfield of '82 and '84 after all these years, not just because Henry plays so effortlessly that it is a beauty to behold or even the fact that Sagnol looks like that bloke out of 'City of God' but because they had grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and they deserved it. And it helped that I held a grudge against Italy ever since that moment Grosso cheated to win that penalty against Australia. It still sticks in my throat when I think about it, but I knew that as soon as it went to penalties today that Italy would win. I was only half right, 'cos I thought it would be down to Buffon saving at least one penalty and I couldn't see Barthez saving a penalty. What with him being more concerned in pulling his bastard shorts up every two minutes, I thought the bloke looked resigned to the fact that he would never get near an Italian penalty. I was 100% right.

But as gutted as I am at Italy winning the 2006 World Cup, the only thing that is racing through my mind at this moment is what was it that Materazzi said to Zidane that prompted the latter to head butt him in the chest? More than anything else, that is what I want to know in the here and now. I know that Zidane has a temper but he usually keeps it in check. I fear the worst, though I'm loath to spell out what I mean by that but I'm hope I'm wrong in thinking that way. I don't need another reason at this point to begrudge Italy winning the World Cup.

*Apologies to messers Morrissey & Marr

4 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

I know exactly what you fear. Truly it could never excuse the action but it would explain it.

Like you say ZZ isn't known for being entirely placid, but you suspect that even under that pressure it would have to be something pretty horrendous.

hakmao said...

In which case Zizou should have used his nut--and waited until after the game before he twatted Materazzi.

You've been holding a grudge against Italy?

yugunter said...

that little arrogant racist Materazzi used a racial slur on Algerian-born Zidane, who after 100+ minutes of play, a goal, and injured hand couldn't think straight - he'll regret it, but Italian racist also deserved a card

ajohnstone said...

What he said to Zidane was this ...
" the Huns are going to the win the league this season with their new French signing"
;-p