Saturday, July 01, 2006

World Cup Sayings #6

Tory leader David Cameron paid tribute to the England team's spirit: 'I watched the match at home with my family and I feel very sad for the team because they tried so hard and after all that effort they deserved to win. But we can all be proud of what they've achieved.'

Why do I think this is a particularly significant World Cup saying? 'Cos when I read it, the image that immediately sprang to my mind was of that photo op of Tony Blair and Kevin Keegan at the Labour Party Conference back in '95, when they played *cough* heady uppy, and thus confirmed the impression of the time that the everyman Blair was a shoe in as the next Prime Minister.

So, when journalists are looking for a cliched soundbite from the opposition leader on the matter of a footie result, you just know that it suggests that a lot of the media thinks that Britain is ready for its first Smiths loving Prime Minister.

No comments: