Sunday, July 30, 2006

Aide Memoire

WEEK 1
  • Celtic 4-1 Kilmarnock
  • My memory being what is, I think I should use the blog to keep track of Celtic's results this coming season. (It will also mean that the blog keeps ticking over.) A couple of goals from Magic - which will probably have pissed off the Polish Deli down the road, as he didn't take his shooting boots with him when he went to Germany in the summer - and a goal apiece from Jarosik and Nakamura, means that the season starts off on the right note with a 4-1 mauling of Kilmarnock yesterday.

    Looking at the other results, I note that Rangers salvaged a 2-1 victory away to Motherwell today. Not exactly a roaring start for the dark side, but I still think that Rangers are the favourites for the title this year. I know that my opinion boils down to the fact that I don't have enough faith in Strachan as a manager, and me being dazzled by the fact that Le Guen was such a successful manager in France, but the jury is still out on Strachan's signings this summer. I love the fact that he got Riordan, who has always looked like a classy player, and Sno is a sport headline writer's dream but ***football cliche warning*** I think Strachan's best signing, in a it's not actually a signing kind of way, is if he can hold onto Petrov. (The latter's desire to sign for Portsmouth suggests that he has never visited the place.) I also think this season is probably the best opportunity for a number of years for a few of the homegrown players to firmly establish themselves in the starting line up. I know that McManus, McGeady and Maloney have done the business, but once their injuries have cleared up perhaps Kennedy and Beattie will also fall into place. I'm especially pinning my hopes on Beattie 'cos we Celtic need a robust, direct striker to rattle a few defences.

    Getting back to the other results, noted that the younger Sutton scored the winner for St Mirren against Inverness Caley Thistle, and that Hearts and Hibs had mixed fortunes. I'm not convinced that Hearts will stay the course as well this year as they did the last, and I feel sorry for Hibs; producing good players year on year, only for them to be picked up on the cheap by Rangers and Celtic. It's going to be a long season for them.

    UPDATE

    Just saw the goals via You Tube. I don't want to be too blase about Nakamura's free kick, but it was par for the course for him. However, I do have to mention Jarosik's debut goal. I loved the way he ghosted into the box to place the header into the corner. Hitherto, I had pegged Jarosik as one of those squad players that Chelski had bought as an afterthought with Abramovich's plundered billions, but from reading up on him on the internet he looks like a quality player who had unfortnately fallen amongst high wages and low sub benches. I'm starting to be a wee bit more optimistic about Celtic's coming season, which is always a bad sign.

    4 comments:

    Reidski said...

    Good stuff, Darren - and much of which I agree with. Spot on for the title favourites - it has to be the forces of darkness, unfortunately!
    I saw Celtic get a hammering from Man Utd's third team last week and we were embarrasingly bad. Sno was our best player on the night by far.

    gray said...

    I can't be arsed to do something similar on my blog, besides I'd probably scare away punters.

    Is it alright if I use these comment boxes to inform you and the world about the mighty Gills? :P

    ajohnstone said...

    Next week though will be the league decider ...Hearts v Celtic ;-p

    Jools said...

    In the absence of the mighty QPR making a push for the Premiership this year, I shall be adopting a Scottish team this season (much as one would adopt an endangered species or sick animal at a zoo :-) ). My chosen team - as I can lay claim to having seen them twice - shall be the Hibs. Tony Mowbray's Green and White army!