Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Boy About Town*

WARNING: Please don't click on the link if your are easily offended by cuss words and limited dialogue.

Despite the fact that it stars one of her favourite actors - Phillip Seymour Hoffman - for some inexplicable reason Kara thinks that the Coen Brothers classic, The Big Lebowski, is overrated, which means that any time it's on TV she won't listen to reason when I suggest that we watch it together.

However, via the good people at YouTube, I think I've found a solution to this knotty problem. The following link will lead you to The Big Lewbowski - the Short Version.

Clocking in at 2 minutes 14 seconds, it captures the essence of the Chandleresque story** without losing any of its emotional power. I still choke up when I see that scene with John Turturro at the bowling alley.

And just to scotch the rumour before it spreads like wildfire across the blogosphere: there is no truth in the rumour that Will Rubbish had a hand in writing the script for the short version, though the jury is still out on whether or not he assisted Richard Curtis with the opening scene to Four Weddings and a Funeral.

*Why the title? Well the short version of the BL is the same length as the Jam classic 'Boy About Town', and I thought for a nano-second that it was clever to tie in the song with the notion of Lebowski stumbling around 1991 Los Angeles in search of an explanation as to why someone would want to piss on his rug. I did say it was a nano-second, and that nano-second seems such a long time ago now. Sob.

**That piece of cod-intellectualism was borrowed from the wikipedia entry on the film. Like I know anything about Chandler - esque or otherwise. Wasn't he the fat one who ended up marrying Monica?

4 comments:

Imposs1904 said...

And there was me thinking that Kara was the only person who didn't like the film.

Wait up . . . is that you Kara?

hakmao said...

Like I only swear...you myth making and myth continuing fucking bastard you. You you. You.

Will said...

Shit the bed. That was me and not her! Used her compooter and had me logged in as her. Oh well. Never mind. We are not the same person honest...

Will said...

Fucking hell man. that was fucking great. Great fucking filim.