Wednesday, July 19, 2006

With Your Tea And Lemon Ice

You know when you've got an mp3 on iTunes and it has been there for an absolutely age but you've never listened to it, and you wonder why you downloaded purchased it legally in the first place? I had that feeling the other day with a particular track, and I was just about to banish it to the trash can when I thought I would give it a wee listen before saying goodbye to it forever.

And guess what? The track was absolutely shite and I should have deleted it months before. No, I'm lying. The song is absolutely brilliant: a bluesy boogie woogie number with electrifying guitar work, and a vocal that is both warm and distant at the same time. It sounds like the singer and the musicians are performing in a different part of the studio (No, I don't know what I'm havering on about either, but if you heard the song you wouldn't be too quick to dismiss me as a pretentious git.) What's the track? Step forward Kevin Coyne's 'Eastbourne Ladies' off the Marjory Razor Blade album. Genius, sheer genius.

I fear if I don't doff my cap to John at Counago and Spaves for bringing the late Kevin Coyne to my attention, he'll probably batter me senseless with Kevin Coyne's back catalogue and, as that amounts to over forty albums, that would be a sore yin.

3 comments:

John said...

My life has been worthwhile after all. :-)

Reidski said...

And cue Reidski with his "did I ever tell you the story of me having dinner with Coyne" story!!
My favourite part of the evening was when he retold the story of being asked to take over as front man for The Doors when Jim Morrison done us all a favour - shit, I mean when he tragically took his own life. Coyne turned the offer down "cos I always fucking hated The Doors!" He was a star in many ways!

Sorry to bore you once again with this one!!

Imposs1904 said...

Hello Reidski,

did he mention anything about the leather trousers? A few websites mention that he also turned down the Doors 'cos he didn't like the apparel. ;-)

If only Ian Astbury had been as principled.