Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Next 30 Day Song Challenge - day 28

Day 28 - Your favourite song from the 90s


Favourite song from the '90s? You kidding me? I don't have a scooby.

Give me 72 hours, plug me into Rocklist and give me access to a Spotify account and I could maybe come up with a top 30 but, unfortunately, the nineties - and the noughties for that matter -  don't instantaneously throw up tracks and memories like the seventies and eighties do. I'm sure it's an arrested development thing and, now that I think about it, any decade that can throw up garbage like Arrested Development perhaps doesn't deserve the distinction of having a favourite song.

Off the top of my head, I could pick any one of 10 or 13 tracks for this challenge but I'll stick with this 1993 classic from Stereolab. Like a lot of great songs from that era - The Cavedogs 'Love Grenade'/Blur's 'Girls and Boys'/ Pulp's 'Lipgloss'/Portishead's 'Sour Times' - I first heard it on Mark Radcliffe's evening show, and I had the good sense at the time to tape the show. Played it to death until I was able to pick a copy of it up on the Jenny Ondioline CD.



I don't think the performance from The Word does it full justice so, if intrigued, check the original version below:



No comments: