Friday, June 09, 2006

"In step, on time but still out of breath . . ."

. . . at the anticipation of the World Cup starting in a couple of hours time. And Germany beating Costa Rica 3-1 in the opening game is my first of many wrong predictions for the tournament.

I could try and cobble together some words about my thoughts, hopes and fears about the forthcoming World Cup and about football in general, and why it is the best sport in the world, but why piss about with my sawdust prose when I've got an old Eduardo Galeano quote to fall back on to best articulate my view for the coming weeks:

"Years have gone by and I've finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good soccer. I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: "A pretty move, for the love of God."

And when good soccer happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don't give a damn which team or country performs it.*"

From Galeano's 'Football in Sun and Shadow'

Anyone but Glasgow Rangers that is. I would be a liar to pretend otherwise.

No comments: