Thursday, June 29, 2006

Maybe It's A Manc Thing?

Gary Neville and his refusal to sing the God Save The Queen may just be a Manc thing. I found this quote from the Guardian Unlimited, dated the 13th June:

"I hope they're on the first plane back from Deutschland. They've got the players to do well, but they're not my team. I'm from the People's Republic of Mancunia. I'll have to leave if they win it. The country will be full of cockneys going on about it for years" Oldham-born, MU Rowdies-supporting Primal Scream bassist Mani lends his support to England's World Cup campaign.

Didn't the late Pat Phoenix once get in trouble in the eighties for refusing to stand up for the national anthem as some public function? I'm sure I can remember a Sun editorial going into an apoplectic rage over it.

Perhaps there is still time before the World Cup ends for Gary and Mani to re-record this old classic? What's one more World Cup song in the charts?

No comments: