Wednesday, September 20, 2006

My Favourite Waste of a Post - I'll Get My Coat

OK, I've done the music and politics blog post already this hour, so duty calls that it's now time for the football and music blog post. If you've thought the previous blog was a piece of fluff, this one's so light that you'd have to weigh it down with Ashley Cole's wallet for fear that it will float away into the distance.

As you know, Rod the Mod would trade in all his platinum records for a chance to play in the green and white hoops*; and as everyone and their kid brother in an anorak will tell you, Gil Scott-Heron's dad, Gil Heron, played a few games for Celtic in 1951, but please don't forget that this summer marks the twentieth anniversary of former Celtic apprentice, Owen Paul, scoring** a top three hit single with 'My Favourite Waste of Time'. A song so annoyingly catchy and sugary sweet that playing the 12" version would result in your gums bleeding.

However, that all pales into insignificance with last night's news from Parkhead that Gordan Strachan gave a debut to longstanding West End music sensation and all round ladies man, Darren O'Dea.

O'Dea was not quoted as saying:

"I know that I have previously said that after wearing the Butlin's redcoat so early on in my career, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing any other team's colours but at this point in my life it seems right that I now choose to wear the green and white of such a great team as Celtic.

I feel that if my good friend and colleague, Tommy Twogoalsthrown, can play a pantomime villain with the aplomb that he did last week at Old Trafford, I can reciprocate the gesture by providing cover in the Celtic squad as a left-sided defender. The thought of Paul Telfer playing week in week out has Tommy so exasperated that he is tearing his eyebrows out."

*This picture currently doing the rounds on the internet is obviously a fake.

**Yellow card for that piss poor pun, and a second yellow card for that alliteration. Off you bastard.

2 comments:

Reidski said...

Fuckin' 'ell, you had me going there for a bit - nice one Dazza!

Imposs1904 said...

I knew you would be the only other person who might possibly get this obscure joke. ;-)