Thursday, May 19, 2005

For The Good Of The Soul - Tonight 7pm BBC2

A must see, and many thanks towards John of Counago & Spaves fame, otherwise I wouldn't have known it was on:
Tonight 7pm on BBC 2 - The Culture Show
"Verity Sharp catches up with Kathy Burke, known most famously as the female half of the slobs Wayne and Waynetta. She’s moved on from acting to become one of the most sought after theatre directors, and is currently working on a revival of her Tricycle Theatre production of Brendan Behan’s play 'A Quare Fellow'. Kathy talks about why she chose to end her acting career, her Irish roots, her fascination with Behan’s work and her future directing plans."
I hope to hell that she hasn't decided to end her acting career, 'cos she is an absolutely marvellous actress. If it weren't for all this abolition the wages system business, I'd be petitioning right now for her image to replace that of the Queen's on all pound coins. She's bloody marvellous - full stop.
UPDATE
Of course she was absolutely wonderful on the Culture Show (my head was ready to burst from all that culture), and I'm crestfallen that she is so adamant that she won't act in the future but I consoled myself later that evening by watching a couple of old episodes of Gimme Gimme Gimme on UK Gold.

3 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Loved Kathy from "Mr Wroe's Virgins": a virtuouso performance. Is that out on DVD?

Imposs1904 said...

I'm not sure if it is, but I know that This Year's Love - you know, the Kathy Burke film that also stars Dougie Henshall ;-).

Only problem is that they are asking £20 for it!!!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Ahem. Dragged Cloud to see This Year's Love on the promise of KB and then wallowed myself in 108 mins of Dougie Henshall's accent and soulful eyes. I had TYL on video and then got it on DVD. Am only just about to part with the video to a fellow admirer of the St Mirren fan.