Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Having a (Brit) Pop

I'm trying to read five or six books at the moment, which is always a mistake with me because I end up just letting matters drift and invariably a few books fall by the wayside never to be picked up again. Those books I am reading include this,* this, this and this** (sneaky of me not to mention them by name, which means that people will have to click on the links and give me more page views ;-)

Another book that I am also currently reading at the moment is John Harris's The Last Party: Britpop, Blair and the Demise of English Rock. Yeah I know it was published a few years back and I missed the zeitgeist and all that palaver from when it was originally published (which roughly translates as the fact that it is only now that I have been able to afford to buy it and only 'cos it was being sold for a couple of quid in a record shop in Edinburgh) but from the hundred or so pages I have read of it so far, it is an intriguing enough account of that period in the early nineties when groups such as Blur, Suede and Pulp kicked back against what they considered the drugged out apathy and drone of grunge.

I never made it to the Good Mixer but I do remember reading what Harris in his book now views as the seminal issue of Select magazine, which had Brett Anderson on the front cover wrapped in the union jack, and the provocative headline emblazoned across its cover of 'Yanks Go Home'. It's strange now to think how important Suede were in the great scheme of britpop things - what with the Art School versus the Arseholes rivalry of Blur and Oasis that followed - but they were a brilliant band in their day, and seeing them perform the incendiary Animal Nitrate live on the Brits on the TV all those years ago was definitely one of those hairs rising on the back of the neck moments in life.

It's funny to read in the book that by all accounts Brett Anderson was a sweet guy who only adopted the cool and distant persona that he was notorious for in his heyday after getting his ego bruised when Justiine Frischmann went off with Damon Albarn, and that Alex James initial impression of Albarn when he first met him was of someone who was: "A pompous big-headed fucking moron with a shit band . . . He can come across as a total cunt."

But my reason for blogging on the book is for a couple of choice quotes that made me laugh out loud, that I thought I would share with my three readers - hello Mo, Curly and Reidski - and, though I don't have any particular antipathy against Suede it is the case that they are aimed against Brett and the other three haircuts in the band:

Alex James again, from when Blur returned from a disastrous tour in America, when they thought that there time had been and gone, and revealing that before the Damon vs Liam homo-erotic bunfight, there was the Goldsmith versus UCL London University inter-college dust up:
'When we got back, Suede were on all the front covers,' says Alex James. 'Those little pricks from fucking UCL.'
The second quote is from Morrissey, who Brett Anderson made the mistake of verbally sparring with in the music press. There was only ever going to be one faux English Fop left standing in the ring after that particular mismatch:
'Suede are . . . a group with all reference points so tightly packed that it consequently leaves no room whatsoever for originality, should any be lurking,' he wrote. 'Despite his claims to the contrary, I have never met Brett and wouldn't wish to; he seems like a deeply boring man with Mr Kipling crumbs in his bed. He'll never forgive God for not making him Angie Bowie.'
Absolute classic! Ten years later, and Mozzer last album is a corker and it has all ended in tears for Brett. Last time I think I spotted him was when he was fronting this video.

* The book on Orwell edited by Paul Flewers.
** The one on the Russian Communist Left. Anybody who wants to buy me the British Communist Left one for my birthday, feel free. My birthday is next week, btw ;-)

6 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Cracking review and good quotes. So am I a fourth reader or Mo?

Hee. Hope you have enough people who can club together to get you a book for your birthday.

John said...

You must be Mo, and I must be Curly; one of those ironic nicknames given to the follically challenged.

Interesting reading selection, Darren (yeah, I clicked). I hope at least one of these books has pictures.

Reidski said...

But which one am I (ha ha ha ha ha)!
I've always had a soft spot for Suede, although they're last one was not much cop (in fact, no cop at all!).
Books: 1. nah; 2. Looks a cracker; 3. Been meaning to read it for some time as I've heard nothing but great things about it; 4. Bollocks.

Victor S said...

Don't beat yourself up too much, dude. I just finished reading it a few months back myself. It's one of the best rock books I've read (not that that says much. The Housemartins hagiography currently by my bedside is ghastly).

timesnewroman said...

Make that 5 readers Darren. Diary of a Rock n' Roll Star. Now there was a Rock book. Well at least I thought it was when I was 14.

tnr

sarah said...

Good post - I agree. I picked the book up at a Virgin Records store - It's called "Britpop!" in America, maybe the Tony Blair references wouldn't sell so well?

Your blog is pretty high up when you google "britpop book"

Sarah