Friday, December 14, 2007

Friday's Playlist #26

An ongoing series:

  • (59) Soft Cell, 'What?' (Non-stop Ecstatic Dancing)
  • (34) Duran Duran, 'Save A Prayer' (Rio)
  • (22) Depeche Mode, 'Leave In Silence' (A Broken Frame)
  • (21) Ultravox, 'Reap The Wild Wind' (Quartet)
  • (17) ABC, 'All Of My Heart' (Lexicon Of Love)
  • (16) Simple Minds, 'Glittering Prize' (New Gold Dream, 81,82,83,84)
  • (13) Carly Simon, 'Why'
  • (8) Mari Wilson, 'Just What I Always Wanted' (Show People)
  • (7) Evelyn Champagne King, ''Love Come Down' (Get Loose)
  • (6) Shalamar, 'There It Is' (Friends)
  • I wasn't going to do a playlist this week. Too much listening to Fad Gadget, Diesel Park West and Billy Childish adds up to a limited choice for a playlist, but what with Steve Coleman's 10/10/82 talk falling into my lap late last night, I thought I would conjure up a playlist from the charts from that particular week.

    I can't say with any authority that SPGB members back in '82 were listening to the songs selected, but I know that I was.

    If you fiddle about with the boombox at the top of the post, you can listen to them today. Cheers.

    2 comments:

    Reidski said...

    Still don't get that Duran shit. And Ultravox after John Foxx left were utter shite. Apart from those two, some nice tunes. I always think the '80s get a bad deal, there was terrific music in that decade! Apart from Duran and Ultravox, of course.

    Imposs1904 said...

    I'll concede you Ultravox, but I can't understand why you can't embrace the Church of Le Bon.

    Granted they went a bit off round about the 7 and the Ragged Tiger phase for a couple of years, but I think after that - save the covers album debacle - they've been pretty consistent in producing good pop music. Check out the latest album, 'Red Carpet Massacre': it's bloody good!

    What groups can say they've made a half decent album 26 odd years after their debut? U2 and Simple Minds bloody can't.

    Come on Reidski. Wipe your feet, put a comb through your hair and adjust your skinny tie . . . and come towards the pop music light.

    You know it's what your 13 year old self would have wanted. ;-)