Friday, November 24, 2006

To Have or To Be

Today in Canada and the States is Buy Nothing Day, "an informal day of protest against consumerism observed by social activists", which coincides with the day after Thanksgiving when people apparently go on a buying frenzy. (A variant on the January Sales back in Britain?). The campaign was originally cooked up Ted Dave - and promoted by Adbusters in Canada - and has now spread across the world. Let's be honest, most of us are unable to observe the day truly - being woken up by hungry cats with no food in the cupboard put paid to my political gesture - but it is something to think about.

Anyway, I don't know about 'Buy Nothing Day'; I think it should be 'Eat Nothing Day', as I don't think I've eaten so much food in my life as I did yesterday, when Kara's pal, Maddy, cooked Thanksgiving dinner for 14 people. The food was absolutely delicious, but I think I may have to lie down for a couple of days.

Recovering just in time to be met with this bloke and his special pleading over the next four weeks:

3 comments:

John said...

Too late. Just bought this

Imposs1904 said...

He was one of my teachers at college. Nice bloke.

John said...

That'll do for me. Last week I stuck a bunch of his books on my Amazon wish list because I'd read some good reviews, but I wasn't familiar with his work. I'll give it a go.