Friday, February 10, 2006

A Public Apology


The Scene: A Thursday night in a living room in Brooklyn. Empty beer bottles (Amstel Light) rest on the table, delicious pizza slices have been eaten and the hyperactive Menshevik Internationalist Boston Terrier mix has finally been subdued with a chew toy the size of a small South American country. A popular American sitcom has just finished on the tv.

Him: I have to admit, that was really funny. I was so wrong about that show. I mean, it's obviously not as good as the original but it stands on its own and, it probably sounds daft, but I actually prefer the title music to the original as well.

Her: Are you going to write a blog where you admit that, and take back that snotty post you wrote about the show all that time ago?

Him: What blog? You mean this one?

Her: No, not that one or this one, and don't think I don't know what you are trying to do by embellishing this paraphrased conversation with random links to past blog posts of yours: you are trying to spike the number of visitors to your sitemeter. You are so transparent and shameless and, anyway, no one will ever read that post on Liverpool winning the Champions League all the way to the end. Get over it. I mean this post

Him: Which one? This one?

Her: No, and I told you, cut it out. And, btw, laughing at your own jokes doesn't make them any funnier.

Him: Sorry, you know I'm hard of hearing.

Her: And why did you just link to a picture anyway? Doesn't make any sense.

Him: 'Cos my posting a picture with no text generated the most comments I have ever received for a post. It still rankles. Like casting pearls before swine.

Her: You finished feeling sorry for yourself? At least take a time out. Can we get back to this embellished conversation from last night?

Him: Sure. OK, you were right and I was wrong. The American remake is funny, but in fairness, you previously told me that the pilots of shows are usually the least funny episodes of a series. What with the need to set the scene, introduce the characters to the audience etc etc . . .

Her: Typical. I knew you would find a way to blame it on someone else. It just makes a nice change that you are not blaming Marty.

3 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

hee hee hee...
now, now: is this a mythical conversation for blog purposes only or an accurate reflection of life chez D&K dans Brooklyn?!

Reidski said...

lisa, you mean you cannot tell straight off that this is a shameless plug for past - and, it must be said, superb - posts? But it's still a great conversation anyway!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

I need a better typeface for my irony!