Sunday, June 12, 2005

Do The Bump

Bill Casey - Part Two
Reproduction of Bill Casey's obituary with its mention of the old IWW songs reminded me that Casey himself was well known for writing the odd Wobbly song. The most famous of which is 'Bump Me Into Parliament'; the lyrics of which are reproduced below.
The site which reproduces the lyrics mistakenly refer to Casey as a one time member of the IWW, but as Bill Clarke's obituary indicates, for a variety of reasons, this is understandable mistake.
Bump me into Parliament
Come listen all kind friends of mine
I want to move a motion
To make an Eldorado here
I've got a bonza notion
Chorus
Bump me into parliament
Bounce me any way at all
Bang me into parliament
On next election day
Some very wealthy friends I know
Declare I am most clever
While some can talk for an hour or so
Why I can talk for ever
I know the Arbitration Act
As a sailor knows his riggins
So if you want a small advance
I'll talk to Justice Higgins
I've read my bible ten times through
And Jesus justifies me
The man who does not vote for me
By Christ he crucifies me
Oh yes I am a Labor man
And believe in revolution
The quickest way to bring it on
Is talking constitution
I think the worker and the boss
Should keep their present stations
So I will surely pass a bill
'Industrial Relations'
So bump them into parliament
Bounce them any way at all
Bung them into parliament
Don't let the Court decay

No comments: