Saturday, March 19, 2005

Poptastic

Remember that brilliant America sitcom from the last century, Soap? No? Here, have a link to refresh yours and my memory.
Well I sort of remember that at the start of every episode there would be the dulcet tones of a voiceoverguy giving a reprise of what had been happening in recent episodes along the lines of: "Chuck's seeing Audrey whose just discovered she is the half-sister of Kenny's chiropodist who is in love with Stella who was gun running for Cletus who got mixed up with the PRFMLA* after visiting the Priest he had the passionate affair with that time he went to Mexico with Sylvia for that partial exorcism by way of joining the Peace Corps to avoid paying taxes on his jumping bean crop."** Confused? Not as much as Billy Crystal*** was twenty years later, when he decided to co-write and star in My Giant.
Erm, so that is my roundabout way of saying that this post is about me mentioning an excellent blog that Rullsenberg Rules found after she was sifting through the web because she read a wee throwaway piece about Lloyd Cole that I posted after Hak Mao mentioned a couple of the lines off one of his songs, 'Perfect Skin', that she happened to hear on a radio that had been switched on by Will Rubbish (whatever happened to him?) to drown out the noise of Cuthbert Peterson getting into an argy-bargy row with Meaders at Dead Men Left whilst Lenny was thumbing through his dog eared copy of Lenny Bruce's 'Suitable Profanities On Four Different Street Corners'**** for more choice insults and brickbats at that same time as Mark of Charlotte Street fame was battering PB Deb sensible with a rolled up copy of the London Review Books (you know, that issue with the 6000 word essay by Benji of Harry's Place comments box fame: 'Playing Good Soldier Svejk In The Blogosphere In The 21st Century') Throw in a carefree namecheck of Virtual Stoa, Normski and Apostate Windbag for good measure and before I can spell out extreme tracking and technocrati on my etch-a-sketch pad, I'll get a few visits along the lines of: "Mmm, wonder what this blogger is saying about me", and I'll pass a wee figure (see post passim) to round off the weekend. This post would not have been necessary if another blogger had helped me out by artificially inflating the blog's viewing figues but she knocked me back.
Any blogger this side of Bratislava not mentioned in this post, apologies. I'm sure I will get round to you next time I've an attack of the sitemeter magic number finishing tape in sight, and I need to boost the viewing figures for the blog. I could have just typed in "Johnny Depp + chocolate spread" and got the passing viewers that way, but I'm not that shameless.
*Popular Radical Front of Marxist Leninist Anarchists
** Mental note to self - totally rip out this section of the post, and cut and paste something that bears some resemblance to the sitcom under discussion. A few jokes wouldn't go amiss either.
*** Further mental note to self. Drag back to the sitcom itself, by mentioning Billy Crystal who happened to be one of the ensemble cast of Soap.
**** Don't try and find it on Amazon, I bought the last copy. Check out Gravy Train instead; Lenny, Bill and Dennis would have been blushing down to their white cotton socks.

3 comments:

Kara said...

Nice mention of Gravy Train. I'm anxiously awaiting your post on the Le Tigre/Gravy Train show you saw on Tuesday.

Will said...

You cheeky little Menshevik git. I'm busy.

Will

Victor S said...

As Will said: cheeky. I did indeed end up here from my site meter [sic]. But you needn't have. I read you with some regularity, comrade.