Sunday, June 27, 2004

I'm Grateful That They Are Dead


Thinking about my recent choice of Top Ten British Albums, I realised that it reeks of someone locked in a eighties timewarp where his life revolves around burgundy tank tops, sta press trousers and wedge haircuts (no, wait up, that's Franz Ferdinand), so conscious of that I thought I would scotch that myth once and for all, and show that I am up with the current hit parade by checking out the Grateful Dead *cough* classic album, 'American Beauty'.

For years, I have studiously avoided listening to the Grateful Dead for the obvious reasons that their songs have never been played on Radio One (when it was good - the eighties again); the reverential devotion of their fans, 'the deadheads', who remind me too much of a run in I had with Spart paper sellers one time; and 'cos the group itself looked like a collection of the Geography teachers who bored me senseless through five years of Secondary School.

However chastened by the seeming narrowness of my musical taste, and following the recommendation for the Grateful Dead from a comrade who otherwise only seems to listen to Wobbly songs, and mention of the 'American Beauty' album on the excellent American drama series 'Freaks and Geeks' (how is that for product placement?), I thought I would check out the Grateful Dead to see what the fuss was about.

What can I say? The first track on the album, 'Box of Rain', is a nice track until the vocals kick in and then you suddenly realise that they are a poor man's Byrds. Christ - I must have a sixth sense to have avoided them all these years. And this is supposed to be their best studio album? I had to listen to some Gene Clark albums to get the bad taste of 'American Beauty' out of my ears. And to think of all those 'Deadheads' opting for that crap over the real deal from Gene Clark. Weird.

3 comments:

timesnewroman said...

Mel, you Idiot! You forgot the Acid!

Actually the Dead are okay, but a bit dated. The live stuff where they meander off for hours on end in some weird acid trip can be really quite good sometimes. Check out Dark Star in particular, downloadable at any good internet connection near you. But American Beauty is quite a nice album and lyrically good. I'd have thought "Workingman's Dead" would have been more up your street. - Actually just kidding there, you'll compare that to Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

No go for Anthem to the Sun. Far more Deadlike really.

But for the authentic San Fran Hippy Acid Sound You NEED Jefferson Airplane.

TNR

Anonymous said...

Well, where do I start? I come from the land of the Dead. So here's how we deal with the Dead, or more accurately, their fans- out here.

Deadhead joke time...

Q: What did the Deadhead say the other when they ran out of drugs?
A: "Dude, let's split. Like this music sucks!"

Q: How many deadheads does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: None, the bulb burns out and they sit and watch it for years.

Q: Why did the Deadhead move to Eugene (Oregon- the Deadhead capital) ?
A: Because the heard there was no work there.

Imposs1904 said...

TNR,

I accept I was a bit harsh, but this was a group that are supposed to be up there with the greats and beyond hearing a couple of snippets of songs I'd never got round to hearing their music.

Therefore, when I took a chance with 'American Beauty', considered their best studio album, I was actually surprised by how insipid it was. I mentioned in passing to someone my dissapointment with Grateful Dead, and he too mentioned that acid had to be on the rider when listening to them. (He thought my suggestion of sherbet dip with a liquorice stick was a poor substitute), but if getting off your tits is a prerequisite for appreciating a group then you have to wonder if it is a case of the 'Emperor and His New Clothes'syndrome:
"But, mommy, they are shite."
"Keep quiet, Cuthbert, and just take your tabs."

I will check out Jefferson Airplane though - love that track 'White Rabbit'.

By the way, I like my sixties American Garage music, whether it be the Chocolate Watchband; the Standells; the Seeds; the Count Five and the Thirteenth Floor Elevators, and but for the grace of god - otherwise known as winmx - I would have missed all these nuggets (groan) 'cos the compilation albums that feature all this great scuzzy garage rock music costs the same price in the high street as going private for a hip replacement.