Thursday, October 08, 2020

Round 512: From RM to VG . . .

 



Darts Thrown: October 8th 2020
Blog Written: October 12th 2020

Highest Score: 180
Lowest Score: 5
Sixties: 29
100+: 9
180s: 1
180s Missed: 1


Blogger's Note: Written in haste, so there will be spelling mistakes and slapdash grammar.

The blog's now in lockdown. Decided to put it on private. Will it now be more indiscreet and revelatory? Nope, it's not turning into an online personalized diary. I'm just now in the position where I no longer want it to be visible, but by the same token I'm not about to press the delete button for it.

Anyway, Blogger's a cunt nowadays. They've 'updated' the blog features and until I'm in a position where I feel comfortable with it -  and, it might be the case that I won't master - I will be hating on blogger for the foreseeable feature.

The darts? Yeah, write something about the darts. Hit a 180. Last throw of the round. I've yet to get back in the groove with the darts, but there's an improvement of sorts. Not sure if I'll ever return to those halcyon days of 180s every day. We will see.

Now for a random video. Looking up The Mekons on wiki to see if there's ever been a book written about them - so, I'll download it and never read it -  and stumbled across this rather nifty collaboration between Vic Godard and The Nightingales that dates from 2018. Never knew about it - and I go through Vic Godard phases from time to time, which means I'm annoyed that I missed it -  but a couple of listens in and I'm enjoying it. I was never much of a Nightingales fan. I remember reading about them in Record Mirror back in the day but I never ever heard them at the time. It was that period in the mid-80s when they were associated with Ted Chippington and We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna Use It, so they got a fair bit of coverage in RM despite the fact that they never sold any records. They are now getting the documentary treatment via - amongst others - Stewart Lee, who some kind of uber fan of a group that never sold more than 137 records. Eventually every band that featured in the Indie Charts 1984-86 will get their own documentary. It's written in the sleeves.

Back to the song. The Mekons connection is that Jon Langford designed the record's cover. Robert Lloyd sounds a bit like the bloke from Tindersticks, so it took a couple of listens for me to get into it.

Vic Godard and The Nightingales - Commercial Suicide Man



No comments: