Sunday, May 28, 2006

I've Thought Long and Hard About This

Why is it that Thursday* is the least popular day of the week when it comes to namechecking days in song titles? It's buggered up a kick-arse playlist that I was compiling.

*Yes, I'm aware of Bowie's 'Thursday's Child', but it's not one of his best songs and I don't think it should sneak in by default. Next thing you know I'll be letting my standards slip by putting the Cure's 'Friday, I'm in Love' on the playlist, and I hate that bastard song.

4 comments:

Imposs1904 said...

Yeah, there is definitely a niche market out there for any aspiring pop star wannabe. Thing is, what rhymes with Thursday?

For the record, my playlist was going to be as follows:
'Monday' - The Jam
'Groovy Tuesday' - The Smithereens (though what I really want is 'Tuesday Sunshine' by the Questions, if anyone can help me out. ;-)
'Wednesday Week' - The Undertones
'Friday Night, Saturday Morning' - The Specials
'Hated Sunday' - Black Box Recorder

Interesting this is that Sunday is definitley the day of the week with the best songs. I could have opted for Sonic Youth's 'Sunday'; Diesel Park West's 'All the Myths on Sunday'; Blondie's 'Sunday Girl'; Robert Wyatt's 'A Sunday in Madrid' & Morrissey's 'Everyday's Like Sunday', amongst many others.

Imposs1904 said...

PS.

Love to pretend that I was being clever-clever by having Friday and Saturday being covered in one oh so special song, but I missed out The Proclaimer's 'It's Saturday Night.' ;-)

Richard S. said...

I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention so far of "Gramme Friday" (as in, "The people I like live in kitchens and halls...")

gray said...

Does "The twelve days of Christmas" count?

Thursday in there somewhere, although not explicitly mentioned! ;)