Tuesday, August 09, 2005

So Hip It Hurts

On the New York subway* the other night, and I think I spotted my first hipster.** Wearing the tattiest jeans and trainers you've ever seen in your life outside of a Lancaster Branch meeting, what sealed the deal for identification purposes was the so hip it hurts haircut and an Adam Ant Friend or Foe T shirt that looked so washed out and old that you just knew that the bloke had to sell a kidney to put a down payment down on buying it outright.

More snotty outsider observations about New York at a later date.

*Similar to the London Underground, only grottier.

**I don't think the person I spotted a few days previously, wearing a Stranglers T shirt, qualifies. Surely that qualifies as a subtle protest against hipsterism?

1 comment:

Piers said...

Wearing the tattiest jeans and trainers you've ever seen in your life outside of a Lancaster Branch meeting.

Oi watch it, cheeky.