Tuesday, February 01, 2005

A Mid-Season Banker

Here's a tip. I would follow it up myself but I'm a bit low on capital at the moment. Nip down the bookies and see what odds you can get on Craig Bellamy getting sent off in the next Auld Firm game. Maybe even chance your arm with a double header of him and Alex Rae both getting sent off. It's a banker.
Then send me a postcard from some Sunny Clime that you paid for out of your winnings.
I'm not sure O'Neill done the right thing in signing Bellamy. I'm not bleating on about the fact that Bellamy, though a very talented footballer, seems a sandwich short of a picnic hamper. Just the fact that in signing him it pushes Shaun Maloney further down the pecking order. When will Celtic stop selling its best young players who have emerged from the ranks, but can't get a decent run in the team.
If I had one criticism of O'Neill - and he is undoubtedly Celtic's best manager since Jock Stein - it is that he has never been able to blood young players properly. I don't think this shortcoming is specific to his time at Celtic. I think he was guilty of the same at Leicester City.
We'll see how he gets on at Man Utd when he goes there next.

No comments: