Friday, May 28, 2004

Missing In Inaction

Oops - nearly a month since my last post. No, the May Day march didn't take that long - though some of the speeches at Trafalgar Square seemed longer - just a combination of bare arsed laziness and a computer virus banjaxed my commitment to regularly updating this blog. I think I will ease myself back into the swing of posting by just doing a few short posts for the time being, until inclination or alcohol prompts me into another bout of writing diarrhea. Flicking through a collection of James Cameron's journalism from the seventies and the eighties, I chanced upon the following quote from the great Studs Terkel, when commenting on the Presidential contest between Reagan and Carter back in 1980: 'If I had a thimble and poured into it the difference between Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan, I would still have room for a double martini.' A beauty of a quote that can be used for all occasions - just delete the two names above and insert the names of Bush and Kerry for this year, and keep it in cold storage for 2012 when you can insert the names of Jeb Bush and Hilary Clinton. And it makes a nice change from always using the Tweedledum and Tweedledee analogy. Get behind me Lewis Carroll.

No comments: