Monday, June 06, 2005

Loved It!!!!!

I can't find it on video, and I would have to sell a kidney to buy it on DVD, but I was in seventh heaven last night when, flicking through the channels, I discovered that This Year's Love* was on UKTV Drama. Granted it isn't the greatest film in the world, and it won't be denting the Sight and Sound All Time Top Ten Films any time soon, but I've always had a soft spot for that film.
It may be because it contains yet another stellar performance from Kathy Burke that seals it for me: Where she exclaims, half shouting in anger and half laughing "You've tattoed Celtic4Ever on my arse . . . I'm Arsenal, me"; or that scene with Dougray Scott in the supermarket; or even where she performs the herculean task of singing a David Gray song, and making it sound wonderful. I've no idea, as there are too many to list - she is just the bees knees.
Oh aye, and Lisa, in case you didn't know, Dougie Henshall is in it. He plays a charismatic Scotsman.
*Writer/Director, David Kane, also wrote the absolutely brilliant Dream Baby way back in 1989 for the BBC. Yet another one of those songs/films/books/tv programmes/childhood chocolate bars/political cartoonist/football players, etc, etc, that I can have a tendency to rant and rave about, and no other bugger knows what the hell I am havering about.

1 comment:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Okay, now just how bad do I feel that I have just this past week passed on my copy of TYL on video...

Can I be forgiven if I explain that it was to a brassic-lint single mother student of mine who I discovered shared my admiration of Douglas Henshall?

True story (check out my email to you!)

But either way, I guess I'm now on a mission to find you a copy of the film for your long term pleasure.