Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Day After This Day In History

An important musical anniversary of sorts took place yesterday, and I should have mentioned it on the blog. If nothing else, the A side was an excellent slab of raucous rock 'n' roll, and I've always had a soft spot for that shirt Glen Matlock wears in that clip from 'So It Goes'.

Guess I was a bit slow on the uptake, 'cos I finally got round to see Alex Cox's 'Sid and Nancy' the other week,and it irritated the hell out of me. I could just put that down to the film itself, but that irritation was compounded a few days back by some old punk music documentary on VH1, where Lydon and Steve Jones (and the late Joe Strummer) were doing their whole nostalgia schtick about the early punk movement, and they almost - almost - came across as proto-Thatcherites, with their talk of 'we had to do it for ourselves'.

Trust me, you would understand where I'm coming from if you'd seen it. I really liked Strummer - especially his later stuff with the Mescelaros - but he really was laying it on a bit thick in this documentary. You could tell it was for an American audience. He wasn't as bad Lydon and Jones, but he was playing it.

No comments: