Sunday, July 17, 2022

Scully and Mooey by Alan Bleasdale (Corgi Books 1984)

 


'A little blasphemy won't send you packin' t'Hell, Mrs Scully.'

"If it does, there's a lot of people who've done us down I'd like t'meet there. We were brought up in the Depression, me an' his dad, an' then through the blitz an' bloody ration books, an' that joker with his 'y've never had it so good'; aye f'them what's always had it. An' then a few good years just t'trick yer into thinkin' things're goin' t'work out alright, before the world turns around an' hits y'kids in the face. It's never them at the top what suffer though, it's us down here what have t'go through it, as far as I can see. An' whatever the politicians say, it's always goin' t'be the same. It all comes back t'those that can least afford it.'

1 comment:

Imposs1904 said...

Everytime I reread this I have to comment on the relentless racism in the book. I can't get past. Originally published in the mid-70s it was a true reflection of the times but it's still grim to read again.

I make no excuses for cherry picking the same passage I'd did previously. The purpose of such passages is that they just resonate more than the rest of the book and, once again, this wee exchange of views from secondary characters in the book had the greatest gotcha moment for me.